Tuesday, November 4, 2008

the flock to athens

Fact: Halloween in Athens, OH is the third largest celebration/gathering behind Mardi Gras and New Years at Times square.
Fact: Nearly 25,000 people crowded the famous Court St this year.
Fact: A step up from last year, there were 53 party animals hauled in by the 5-O.

Yes, it's a fact. If you weren't a part of Halloween in Athens, you weren't a part of Halloween at all. Sarah Palin and Micheal Phelps around every corner. Court street, Washington Street, and every house party you walked into, you know you could find ghosts, ghouls, and drunken fools.
The second I stepped on Court St., I was on a mission to find the best character out there. I saw some real live bling walking around. The Heisman Trophy, self-painted all over in gold, caught my eye. Even the lame offices workers decided to make it out to the party. Dwight Schrute, from The Office, was spotted. And maybe I just liked that one because I like the show, but either way, he was legit. A few fellas even attempted to make some breakfast on their own "brick oven" right there on the cobble stone-- giant strips of bacon being flipped by the giant spatula. But I'd have to say the ones who topped it were pretty clever. I saw these gamers quite a few times that night. A life-size, 3-D, row of Tetris gets the gold medal in my book.

Overall, I'd say it was a true "howl"-o-ween with all the scary, interesting, and obnoxious costumes. But really, if your a bobcat or a real Athenian, the famous celebration was nothing out of the norm. Well, other than the sea of crazy creatures wandering on the main street.

Happy Halloween! Welcome, November, and say hello to Week 9!

Oh and happy elections!
Hope you all voted!

1 comment:

Shirk2012 said...

I heard there were some fine hula boys too.